The Top 10 Best Miniature Painting Kits For Novices
Miniature Painting Kits For Novices
Are you trying to get the greatest collection of miniature paints? Perhaps you are looking for the best miniature paints to begin your hobby of model painting.
The diversity of vibrant paint colors in a decent miniature painting set is where it all starts and finishes.
You can also get model painting kits with additional accessories like brushes and technical media.
A practical carrying case is included with some miniature painting sets to store all of your necessary supplies.
Check out this evaluation if you’re seeking for the best miniature painting set to get started in the tabletop mini painting pastime or to just add to your existing paint collection.
In this article, I go over my picks for the top ten miniature painting kits for novices. Also, these miniature paint kits are original hobby presents!
Best Miniature and Model Painting Kits for Beginners and Novices: Top 10
Here are my top 10 picks for beginners and hobbyists who want to paint miniatures:
- Reaper Miniatures Master Series Paints Starter Kit for Mini Figures
- Reaper Miniatures Learn to Paint Kit Core Skills
- Dungeon and Dragons Official Paint Line Adventurer’s Paint Set
- Dungeons and Dragons Official Paint Line Monsters Paint Set
- D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Pigments Underdark Paint Set
- Army Painter Miniature painting kit
- Reaper Mini Dungeon Dwellers Colors Set
- The Army Painter Miniatures Paint Set, Wargames Hobby, Stater Paint Set
- Master Series Paints; Pathfinder Colors of Golarion
- Vallejo Basic Colors Paint Set
1. Reaper Miniatures Master Series Paints Starter Kit for Mini Figures
For any new miniature painter or hobbyist interested in painting miniatures.
The Reaper Miniatures Master Series Paints Starter Set for Mini Figures is a terrific paint package.
I’ve given this kit away as a gift to teenagers and younger painters because it is so comprehensive.
The paints and other materials are quite helpful if someone decides to continue painting miniatures as a hobby because it comes with everything you need to get started.
You get premium acrylic paint designed for painting miniatures in this shoebox-sized plastic container, which also serves as a convenient carrying case to hold your hobby supplies.
Award-winning miniature artists created the Reaper Master Series paints, which are simple to apply, thin, combine, and have a gorgeous matte, color-rich finish.
13 of the most used Master Series Paint colors for painting miniatures are included in this kit.
This is a good place to start if you’re seeking to start with a core collection of paints that you will absolutely want to have available for any project.
Even though you don’t get brushes or a miniature (instead, check the Core Skills Kit below).
- A great variety of excellent acrylic paints
- A practical plastic carrying box for storing things while traveling
- Discover traditional painting methods using a variety of paint mixtures.
- Combined cost-savings for a practical color scheme
2. Reaper Miniatures Learn to Paint Kit Core Skills
The best introductory set for anyone considering into the hobby is the Reaper Miniatures Learn to Paint Kit Core Skills.
I’ve given this away as a present for birthdays and other special occasions, much like I did with the Reaper starting kit mentioned above.
This is one of the sets I suggest the most for beginners looking for a miniature paint starter package. This is due to a number of factors.
A self-contained package with 11 Master Series Paints, 3 amazing RPG miniatures, and 2 Master Series brushes makes up the “Learn to Paint Core Skills” set.
Also, the Learn to Paint set comes with a highly practical plastic carrying case (e.g., kind of like a toolbox).
It works well for both storage and travel. I personally have one of these cases on hand in case I need to travel with my hobby equipment.
Since you don’t have a dedicated hobby workstation, having a self-contained case to hold everything is extremely practical for those just getting started in the hobby.
- Kit that comes with everything you need to get going
- Excellent paints, brushes, and three exquisite plastic miniatures
- The carrying case is useful.
- Excellent bargain beginning kit for miniature painting
3. Dungeons and Dragons Official Paint Line Adventurer’s Paint Set
The Dungeons and Dragons Official Adventurer’s Paint Kit is a terrific place to start if you want to paint your next set of RPG miniatures for a campaign, D&D, or another roleplaying tabletop game.
This is a terrific D&D paint set, regardless of whether you’re a beginner painter trying to get into the game or someone who wants to broaden their expertise with new paints based around RPG miniatures (and created by The Army Painter brand).
The starter set includes 10 acrylic media, including a bottle of primer, 1 metallic paint (steel), and 8 regular colors.
While getting ready to paint your model, the primer comes in extremely handy.
A starter brush and a D&D miniature (Minsc & Boo, famous from the video game “Baldur’s Gate”) are also included with this adventure kit.
To get you started on your painting journey, there is also a great helpful painting guide.
The Official Dungeons and Dragons Paint Line Adventurer’s Paint Kit is a fan favorite and is a great present for someone in your adventuring party if you enjoy playing role-playing games with miniatures (including yourself). Look it up!
- Inexpensive starter kit for painting miniatures
- Designed with D&D and other role-players in mind.
- Includes a miniature and a painting guide.
- Includes primer and paint so you can start your pastime straight away.
4. D&D Official Paint Line Monsters Paint Set
Do you want to create monster paintings? Roll for initiative, then! Certainly, you can start painting minis without any special paint supplies. You can use any.
The Monsters Paint Set from the Dungeons and Dragons Official Paint Line is the sole reason you might want to pick it given how comprehensive it is.
One of the best all-in-one miniature painting sets available, it is a genuine monster of a kit and is especially awesome as a beginner D&D mini painting kit.
When you take this kit, you don’t have anything to hide. You wish to commit to the hobby wholeheartedly!
This kit comes with 36 bottles of non-toxic paints (28 acrylic model paints, 3 metallic paints, 3 washes, and 2 special effect paints).
Each dropper bottle has 12 cc, which is more than enough to paint numerous models.
This collection of miniature painting supplies is excellent on its own. Or, think of this as a terrific addition to the Adventurer’s.
You may begin painting monsters of various sizes with the D&D Owlbear Monster tiny, a timeless sculpt.
Although already put together, the mini is unpainted. Thus, with this kit, you’re prepared to start painting right away.
- More fun with paints (36 bottles of formulated paints by The Army Painter)
- Great for all miniature hobbyists, but created for D&D lovers.
- Technical paints and washes provide you more opportunities for hobbies.
- Set that can stand alone or be added to your other paint sets
5. Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Magnificent Pigments Underdark Paint Set
Roleplaying games, such as Dungeons & Dragons, have had a worldwide comeback.
It thus comes as no surprise that art collections based on this tabletop Game have appeared.
Nolzur’s Magnificent Pigments Underdark Paint Kit for Dungeons & Dragons is no exception.
This miniature painting set has paint colors with a more subdued tone than the Adventurer’s Paint set.
Ten water-based acrylic colors, including a metallic paint and an effect paint, are included in this miniature painting package.
The Underdark, home to dark elves and heroes like Drizzt, is the obvious topic.
The paint colors are packed specifically for this set and might not be found elsewhere.
This paint kit is unquestionably the best option if you’re seeking for a “Underdark”-themed paint color pallet.
Also, the exclusive Drizzt Do’Urden plastic miniature is included in this starter kit for miniatures and is ready for you to paint.
Despite the lack of a brush in the set, you may readily acquire inexpensive brushes to use for learning.
- Created with the D&D Underdark theme in mind
- Unique paint hues that are not used elsewhere
- Overall, metallic paint and the effect are useful.
- If you enjoy Drizzt and dark elf lore, this can be a good location to start your miniatures collection.
6. Army Painter Miniature painting kit
When you’re eager to start painting miniatures and want to have all the paint supplies you might need in one location, you should buy the Army Painter Miniature Painting Kit.
This is also a fantastic choice if you want to replace a Citadel Paint set, which can be expensive relative to what you get.
This is a fantastic option if you’re searching for a quick method to expand your collection of Warhammer paint sets.
Of course, you’ll need brushes and other tools.
Yet, The Army Painter Miniature Painting Kit has arranged your demands in a careful, comprehensive assortment with regard to color and art mediums.
The Army Painter acrylic paint brand is renowned for its high-quality paints.
Which provide you superb coverage (some colors are greater than others) with well-liked hues for virtually any tabletop gaming palette.
Such as Warhammer 40k, Fantasy, Historical, RPGs, and more.
This particular kit has 60 Warpaints (in bigger 18ml bottles), including 5 metallic paints, 7 quickshade washes (excellent for speed painting, too), 5 effect paints, 43 acrylic colors, and 5 metallic paints (for weaponry, armor, and mechanical aspects).
- Big paint package for a reasonable cost; excellent value
- 18ml dropper bottles with handy droppers and free mixing balls
- Color-coded bottle tops for quick media identification
- A complete set of metallic, effect, and quick-drying shade washes for acrylic paints
7. Reaper Mini Dungeon Dwellers Colors Set
You don’t always need to make a big entrance. A straightforward set of six thematic paint colors for dungeon-exploring miniatures is the Reaper Mini Dungeon Dwellers Colors Set.
The Bones range of acrylic paints, developed by Reaper, is of exceptional quality and offers good coverage.
With names like Vampiric Mist, Succubus Kiss, Eldritch Purple (my favorite), Cursed Gold, Skeleton Key, and Dungeon Grey, you get colors that are appropriately gloomy and dungeon-related.
These colors alone offer a lot of possibilities if you’re imaginative. Even as a novice miniature painter, you’ll find that you can get a lot done with not much.
With this six-color palette, you can easily paint a whole miniature.
This paint kit is packaged at a great price per bottle, and the colors are scarce and difficult to find elsewhere.
Overall, I believe that this miniature painting set is excellent for individuals who may have some prior miniature painting knowledge but want to take a scenic route.
Maybe underground? Let’s just say that, out of all the paint companies I’ve used, the Reaper Series paint line has always been my favorite.
Give them a try on your own!
- Quick and delicious, as an entree or dessert from a dungeon
- Despite having only 6 hues, this is a workable color scheme.
- Reaper-quality tones with a strong theme
- Favorable package price
8. The Army Painter Miniatures Paint Set, Wargames Hobby Starter Paint Set
When you don’t want to start off too big, or at least not right away, acquire the Army Painter Miniatures Paint Set, Wargames Hobby Beginning Paint Kit.
This entry-level miniature painting set is understated but powerful.
The Army Painter Wargames hobby set includes an 18ml bottle set of four acrylic colors.
One of these is the incredibly practical strong tone quickshade wash, which is excellent for quickly bringing out the details on a painted model.
The instructions provided will demonstrate how.
The remaining hues cover the entire spectrum: blue, red, yellow, green, black, and white.
For armor, weapons, and other items of the kind, a steel metallic is included.
For the obvious historical or fantastical ideas this kit may be optimized for, a flesh tone and leather hue pair well.
Although the beginner brush is certainly subpar, it is a fantastic spot for anyone to start their journey into miniature painting.
- A small yet complete collection of practical paints and media
- The brush, quickshade wash, and metallic paint are all included at a good price.
- The Army Painter produces a superior paint line.
- A photo-filled Wargaming Army Painting Guide
9. Master Series Paints: Pathfinder Colors of Golarion
Which RPG system, Pathfinder or D&D, is superior? Is it relevant when painting miniatures?
Nope! This kit is excellent for any miniatures you may want to paint for your upcoming RPG campaign, so it’s also a good thing.
A collection of miniature paints bearing the Reaper trademark and based on the Pathfinder intellectual property is called The Master Series Paints: Pathfinder Colors of Golarion.
The color palette should closely resemble the artwork in the Pathfinder compendium of books and other published media because it is the official paint set for the game.
This Pathfinder kit comes in a convenient plastic carrying bag, just like other Reaper painting starter sets.
Which is ideal for storing or transporting your hobby paints and other supplies.
I must admit that I enjoy having this box nearby for when I need to move around my house to paint.
- The universe of Pathfinder has 28 different hues.
- Reaper quality paints that are officially authorized and easily accessible
- Excellent addition to existing kits or can be used to begin your own collection.
- Plastic travel and storage box that is practical
10. Vallejo Basic Colors Paint Set
The best Vallejo paint package for novice miniature painters is this one.
When it comes to getting started in the pastime of miniature painting, the Vallejo Basic Colors Paint Kit is the picture of simplicity.
Solid good paint quality in a range of exceptionally useful—or, dare I say, all—colors.
The Vallejo Model Color paint set presented here is actually the most trustworthy paint set you can get, as you are most likely to use every paint in it.
If you’re serious about painting miniatures, this package will not only be a terrific start for you, but will also last you through your more experienced painting years.
Some kits come with extraneous colors you’ll never need.
Award-winning painters used Vallejo Model Color to make it through the elimination rounds of competitions.
It is a favorite miniature paint brand of many professional artists.
Model color compositions are entirely lightfast and opaque, and they also include permanent pigments for all types of fine art.
- Set of professional acrylic model paint
- preferred paint brand among numerous accomplished, award-winning artists
- Vallejo paints are reliable, simple to use, full of color, and lightfast.
- Amazing bargain package
I adore painting miniatures, and my desire to spread the pastime to others matches my enthusiasm for it.
There is something magical about completing a painting and seeing a model that was first in black and white come to life in vibrant, living color.
It’s a serious undertaking to give a small life. You do change a tiny bit as you paint miniatures.
I’d adore to assist. Moreover, please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions for future articles.
Enjoy painting for fun!
Read More Here about The Best 6 Portable Hobby Stations For Miniature Painting
Read More About Painting Miniatures HERE